4 Summertime Tips for Preventing Rock Chips from Cracking out your Windshield
Cracked windshields are a summer tradition here in Dallas. The sweltering Texas sun takes a toll on your windshield, especially if it is already damaged.
I get a lot of phone calls from people who wait too long to request an appointment…by the time they call me, cracks have already spread across the windshield, making it un-repairable.
There were even a few instances when the windshield cracked out while I was driving to the customer’s location! That inexpensive windshield repair quickly became an expensive windshield replacement claim.
Summer Windshield Care Tips
Do you have a rock chip? Here are some hot weather care tips to help prevent a cracked windshield:
- Get rock chips repaired right away! Don’t wait to see if the chip is going to spread or not. Heat, road vibrations, even temperature and pressure changes can cause the smallest rock chip to spread suddenly across the entire windshield.
- Park your car in the shade. The baking sun is the biggest culprit for windshields cracking out during the summer. Keep your car parked in the shade until the windshield is repaired. It is also a good idea to keep several windows rolled down about half an inch to reduce the internal temperature of your car.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes. Don’t blast your ice cold A/C directly on the hot windshield. The sudden temperature changes can cause small chips and microscopic cracks or flaws to start cracking.
- Don’t slam car doors. Damage, such as a rock chip, causes a weak spot in your windshield. Slamming the car door causes a sudden pressure change that might cause the rock chip to spread.
Call GlassLogic now at for rock chip repair before your windshield starts to crack. Once a crack is longer than 6″ or so, it is too late to get it repaired. You will have to pay for an auto glass replacement.
I am open six days a week during the summer: 8am – 6pm Monday through Friday, and 9am – 2pm on Saturdays.
Auto glass repair recommended reading:
- More About Cracked Windshields
- RV Windshield Repair
- Auto Insurance Glass Claims
- Fleet and Commercial Accounts
Mark Huckle is a nationally certified windshield repair technician located in Dallas, Texas. Read more…
Leave a Reply Cancel reply